Friday, April 16, 2010

RSS Player 3.0 Roadmap

It's been a while since we have made an announcement and we feel it's time to update our users on whats been going and what we want to happen in the future.

RSS Player has been holding steady between spot #15 and #20 on the Top Paid News Apps in the iTunes store. While most user experience is positive, we have been getting some negative reviews and complaints. We hear you and plan to fix most bugs and problems for our next version.

We are planning to releasing RSS Player 3.0 in time for the iPhone 4.0 release. RSS Player 3 will bring such features as background playing and refreshing and some integration with the ipod app. We are also planning on releasing an iPad version of RSS Player 3.0. At some point in time, it's not clear if the apps will be free updates or new application.

Because of how much is going on with RSS Player development, we are looking for people that want to help the RSS Player community.
Some of the work that needs to be done includes
  • Coding in objective-c and c
  • Moderating the podcast directory
  • Designing graphics
  • Answering user support questions
  • PR/Advertising 
  • Twitter support
  • Facebook support
If you love podcasts and are interested in helping out, please email us with a brief explanation of what you would like to help with. Compensation will be determined based on task.

16 comments:

  1. I'm using a 1st gen iPod Touch and so won't be able to get OS4 - will I get the 3.0 update?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1st gen iPhone will not get the update since it won't run iPhone OS 4

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not happy :(
    Couldn't you give us the non OS4 fixes and features before moving on? Please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very happy about background processing. My #1 complaint about my iPod Touch is that RSS Player can't run in the background. Since I'm a big podcast listener and this app is ALWAYS running, I am forced to quit the app in order to use the lousy calculator. Glad to know this will be enabled in the next release. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Backgrounding is not an issue for me as it worked from day one on my jailbroken phone. What I really would like to see is better validation of downloaded podcasts as I sometimes get broken downloads that don't play. Also the unplayed downloads playlist does not auto-play through the list, and does not refresh automatically after a podcast has been played.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The current version is not working with beta 4.0. Do you already tested 4.0? Maybe it is only my problem? Any experience?

    ReplyDelete
  7. 4.0 still has bugs. A lot of apps do not work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You mention some integration with iPod. Can you comment more? My biggest and only significant complaint with rss player is that I can't dock it to my car and ipod player and play/pause or navigate podcasts using external controls. Can you add a feature which will allow the downloaded podcasts to be played in the iPod?

    ReplyDelete
  9. A problem I've been having of late is that files will appear to download OK, but will then disappear once the download is completed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you are looking for beta testers for 3.0 let me know. I used RSS Player daily before OS4 broke it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The one thing that keeps me with the iTunes Podcast manager is this tool: http://www.rsshandler.com
    Any chance this could be implemented in RSS Player?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope the responsiveness is fixed. It takes forever for the player to respond to play and pause. Also, a 2x speed like the native player would be nice. And yes, download verification too. All too often I have podcasts that stop in the middle. Other than that, it's a great app - anything keep my iPhone away from iTunes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoy this app very much. I use it all the time, and I have never had it crash or not work as it was intended. I use the app to listen to podcasts in Italy to help improve my Italian, and I recommend it to all the readers of my blog(s) who also study Italian.

    As for features, it would be nice to add some European providers or create a list of podcasts by language.

    Keep up the great work! This is by far one of my favorite apps!

    I wrote up my review here:
    http://www.italianlanguageresources.com/2010/06/rss-player-for-iphoneipod-touch-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. :|

    This frustrates me. I love this app and I've used it a ton and I'm honestly at this point happy to pay for the upgrade, that's cool.

    What however annoys me is I just upgraded my ipod touch to 4.0 and it got wiped in the process (mine is jailbroken) and now I can't even get the old version off the app store.

    But seriously to the folks complaining, it's 99 friggen cents for the upgrade. Paying for a major release of software when you already own the prior one isn't unusual.

    Though yanking the old app so those of us who bought it can't redownload it is a bit lame :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. When will podcaster appear in the app store? today is 6/24.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just purchased this for my 1st gen iPod Touch. Love the app but its lacking 2x playback :(

    ReplyDelete